Re: [v6ops] Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment inPredominantly IPv4 Sites - (pre-draft)

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Wed, 13 April 2011 00:07 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:06:49 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment inPredominantly IPv4 Sites - (pre-draft)

Hi Mark,

It sounds like what you'd prefer would be DHCPv6
over ISATAP interfaces. In that case, the routing
system matches up the (non-ISATAP) DHCPv6-delegated
IPv6 addresses with an ISATAP link-local address of
the host to which the address has been delegated.
We talk about how to do exactly that in Section
3.2.4 of 'draft-ietf-v6ops-tunnel-loops'.

So, this has come down to a DHCPv6 vs SLAAC bakeoff
on ISATAP links, I guess? I was told by an employee
of a major host implementation vendor that their
ISATAP host implementation does not do DHCPv6. But,
you list a number of reasons why DHCPv6 would be
beneficial.

This sounds like a recipe for a food-fight. Can I
run off to catch that train with you??

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com