Re: [v6ops] Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment in Predominantly IPv4 Sites - (pre-draft)

Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> Tue, 12 April 2011 21:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 07:12:47 +0930
From: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
To: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Operational Guidance for IPv6 Deployment in Predominantly IPv4 Sites - (pre-draft)

Hi Fred,

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:18:14 -0700
"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The following should not be construed as a draft, but
> rather just a set of ideas that might be considered
> for inclusion in a new or existing draft. Any
> comments or suggestions?

I don't know if it has been though of before, however one alternative
use of ISATAP I've thought of is to facilitate IPv6 topology
hiding. The underlying IPv4 addresses probably would expose the network
typology, however if they're RFC1918 ones, they'd be unreachable
externally. Possibly this could be resolved by having only the ISATAP
domain link-local addresses use IPv4 addresses, and then have global ->
link local IPv6 translation tables which are then used to resolve a
global IPv6 ISATAP host address which doesn't include an interior IPv4
host address into a ISATAP link local and then interior IPv4 address. As
external parties would only use externally visible IPv6 addresses, the
IPv4 topology would then be hidden as well.

Regards,
Mark.