Re: [v6ops] Review solicitation - draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix

"Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com> Mon, 04 March 2013 09:17 UTC

From: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
To: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:16:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.161]
Cc: sunqiong <sunqiong@ctbri.com.cn>, "ian.farrer@telekom.de" <ian.farrer@telekom.de>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Review solicitation - draft-jiang-v6ops-semantic-prefix

Hi, Sheng

Hope it's not too late to catch up this, sorry for the delay.

Generally, I think it is a good idea to encoding semantics in IPv6 address. The 128bit seems could provide us a loose space for doing this.

Just two general comments:
1. Section 5 "Sharing semantic definition among Semantic Prefix Domains enables more semantic based network operations."
Does "sharing" means an absolute definition across domains, or some mechanisms of semantic mapping between domains, or both available? I think the Inter-Domain semantic operation is an important topic, maybe we need more description on it.

2. Section 9 Gaps
Maybe it's better to have a brief review of operational considerations which are needed to support semantic, before the gap analysis?
E.g. operational considerations of the addressing plan/allocation, will it bring too much complexity for the operators or not; filtering operations to increase the semantic trust .etc.

Best regards,
Bing