Re: [v6ops] New version of draft-lopez-v6ops-dc-ipv6

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Fri, 26 October 2012 14:54 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "Diego R. Lopez" <diego@tid.es>, IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:54:12 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [v6ops] New version of draft-lopez-v6ops-dc-ipv6

I've read this version of the draft, and I have a few comments.

I would not refer to your last transition stage as "Next Generation" as that is not a particularly descriptive term for the stage that you describe, and it is also a fairly overloaded term - my "next generation" DC may well be the one where I increase the bandwidth, or build out a fabric, start using some new widget, or whatever. I would maybe call it IPv6-only or Single-stack IPv6, since that is really the desired end state, where as much of the DC as possible is running IPv6 for all functions, and IPv4 connectivity is handled via transition and translation technologies at the edges of the DC (eg loadbalancers, etc).

Section 2.3 should mention the fact that this stage may be driven by either a lack of enough IPv4 resources (whether private or globally unique) or a need to reclaim IPv4 resources from portions of the network which no longer need them. There is a point at which dual stack is simply not possible anymore, and once that point has been reached, a careful evaluation of what still needs to speak IPv4 and what does not will need to happen to ensure judicious use of the remaining IPv4 resources.

It might also be helpful to discuss the different classes/categories of things that are in an average data center, as those may have a bearing on how the transition proceeds, and indeed may be at different phases of the transition at different times:

Management systems (provisioning, alarms/PMs, software distro, etc)
Fabric (and perhaps even discuss the different layers, ToR, agg, core, etc)
Hypervisor (though this is already mentioned in a few places in the draft)
Machine-to-machine communications (one application talking to another over an API)
End-user applications/content
External services
Etc

The key here is to keep it generic enough so that it's widely applicable, rather than getting so specific that you have to have multiple different scenarios to represent different potential DC applications and designs.

Security considerations: draft-vynke-opsec has been replaced by draft-ietf-opsec. However... The referenced draft covers a lot of ground, and simply referring to it by itself might be daunting to potential readers. It might be worth highlighting specific sections that are especially pertinent to DCs, such as the discussion of ND cache exhaust, etc.

Thanks,

Wes George