Re: [v6ops] New version of draft-lopez-v6ops-dc-ipv6

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Wed, 31 October 2012 16:14 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "Diego R. Lopez" <diego@tid.es>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:10:58 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] New version of draft-lopez-v6ops-dc-ipv6

> From: Diego R. Lopez [mailto:diego@tid.es]
>
> This is a good point, though I think we should agree in limiting the
> number of such items, and clearly identify how the application of v6
> affect them and in which respect they are specific to the DC
> environment. Certainly management systems are, as considerations on the
> fabric and hypervisors.
[WEG] Yes. That's a good test to use. There's a lot of risk in getting too specific and to specialized here, so feedback from DC operators on a set of categories that make sense will be very helpful.

> In the case of end-user applications and content I think they are mostly
> considered in other operational guideline: (draft-chkpvc-enterprise-
> incremental-ipv6) and we could follow an approach similar to the used in
> the security considerations.
>
> When it comes to M2M and external services, I'd like to have a clearer
> idea of what you are referring to...

[WEG] I can try to clarify a bit -
M2M - At least in my company's systems, have a fairly modular design to the applications that we use, so we end up with a lot of applications that have one set of functions, but make API calls to other applications within the data center for additional information that they require to complete their intended function. These machine-to-machine communications are a good place to experiment with moving to IPv6, especially when you have control over both of the applications (vs one where you're making calls to an API on an externally managed system for example). This is because assuming you have an IPv6-capable fabric in place, and the underlying VM infrastructure supports IPv6, it may be as simple as changing a few DNS entries to add AAAA records, and the traffic going between these applications will begin using IPv6 in a way that is relatively straightforward from a control and rollout perspective because you are not dealing with the variable that any sort of human user might introduce - it's two applications talking to one another directly. It is worth noting that in some cases these are not necessarily contained completely within one datacenter, so you could make a distinction between those that stay within a single data center vs those that must communicate between datacenters.
External services refers to any sort of applications that are providing services consumed outside of the datacenter (vs those like I outlined above).
Hopefully that helps. I know that M2M is also an overloaded term, and I didn't exactly use it in the traditional sense, so I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Wes George