Re: [v6ops] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-15.txt

Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> Thu, 14 October 2010 20:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:25:49 +1030
From: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-15.txt

Hi Fred,

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:34:53 -0700
Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> wrote:

> If the comment is not in this draft, then the work being done in the Broadband Forum on this topic should be replicated at Cable Labs for that class of networks. Question to their respective representatives: are you sufficiently on the same page that you can suggest a statement to go here, or would you prefer separate approaches from the Fora?
>
> Mark: How would you suggest wording the "passing comment" regarding updates? It sounds like you would prefer something along the lines of:
>
> REC-13:
> Residential Internet Gateways SHOULD provide a means for their owners to securely update their firmware, for the installation of security patches and other manufacturer-recommended changes. Owners are responsible to install the firmware, and encouraged to do so promptly, but the means of informing them of the availability of the update is beyond the scope of this document.

Yes, I'd be happier with that.

> </chair>
> I can see both sides of this. I configure my laptop (OS and applications) to automatically download patches and notify me of their availability, and I decide to install them. I like that on two counts: *I* maintain my patches, and I *maintain* my patches. The model makes sense with other software and firmware relevant to me as a consumer. On the other hand, patches get applied to my wife's and my daughter's laptops when I notice that they need to be applied (in my daughter's case, that means that I'm visiting her) and make it happen. If I were the manufacturer of the residential gateway in question, the only way I see to maintain the software would be to maintain an email list as people register their products and send them an email, as people can't be depended on to log into a manufacturer or ISP site periodically to get the news, and the residential gateway doesn't generally have a screen that the owner periodically looks at to announce the need for an update. We all know
  how emails tend to get lost in the noise...
> <chair>

My issue isn't so much the automated downloading, it's the automated
installation. CPE typically needs to be rebooted to perform that task,
so automated installation means an unexpected service outage. So in the
middle of making a VoIP phone call to the boss (or to emergency
services!), accessing the corporate VPN, watching a streaming video
etc., there'd all of a sudden be an unexplained outage of typically a
few minutes, as well as typically would would be alarming flashing of
lights on the device. Very un-user friendly behaviour, and worse
because the ISP is likely to be the first to be blamed for it, and have
wear the consequences of dealing with unhappy customers. Unfortunately
I've recently had to deal with a situation where vendor faults on large
numbers of CPE devices were seen to be my (ISP) employer's
responsibility and it was very unpleasant to say the least.

As for mechanism for applying an update (which I do agree is out of
scope), one thought I had would be possibly an "Firmware Upgrade
Available" flashing LED on the CPE, and a specific button to be held
down for say 5 seconds to load it would be a fairly simple way to both
notify the end-user and allow them to control when it is applied.

Thanks,
Mark.