Re: [v6ops] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-15.txt

Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> Fri, 15 October 2010 21:47 UTC

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:18:11 +1030
From: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
To: Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Cc: Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, IPv6
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-15.txt

Hi Ron,

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:56:45 -0400
Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I think that the business model is important, here.
>
> Assume that I have purchased an "managed service" from my friendly, local ISP. They provide IPv6 connectivity and drop off a router in my kitchen. I plug my computer into the router and never think about it again. If the ISP discovers a bug in the router software, they update it automatically and I am none the wiser. (This is the model that Jari suggests. It is also my ISP's service model.)

The fundamental problem is that this draft is aimed at vendors. With
this clause the vendor chooses when and where to provide firmware
updates to the CPE users. So it won't be possible for the ISP to provide a
managed CPE service, because they don't control and can't be in control
of when the firmware is released to the CPE customers. They may not
even be aware of a new firmware release until they get a flood of
support calls about the Internet breaking.

If the draft is going to persist with specifying that firmware is
automatically distributed and installed, then it is also going to have
to specify mechanisms as to how ISPs are going to put inline with this
process, between the vendor and the CPE, so they're going to be able to
prevent automatic upgrades occurring at times when it is inconvenient to
customers. Of course, that will only be successful if all CPE vendors
comply with this "ISP controlled" mechanism. That'll also create an
additonal burden on the ISPs because they'll end up being responsible
for software maintenance for their customer's CPE, even in markets
where customers can purchase CPE independently of ISPs.

Think about applying this model to other devices and I hope you'll see
the fundamental problem -

o  would you be happy that your Internet attached TV's firmware is
automatically updated and installed when the vendor makes firmware
available, right in the middle of a movie?

o  would you be happy that your (eventual) Internet attached ECU's
firmware is automatically updated and installed when the car vendor
makes firmware available, right at the moment when you're travelling at
100Kph/60Mph?

o  would you be happy that your Internet attached plane's firmware is
automatically updated and installed when the plane vendor makes
firmware available, right at the moment you're a passenger in it at it,
and it is in the middle of taking off?

In each of these cases, the operator of the device has to be in control
of when these firmware upgrades occur as they can make the best
operational choice as to when they should occur. Device vendors
usually aren't also operators. For ISP managed CPE, the ISP is
the operator. For privately purchased CPE, the customer has chosen to
take on the responsibility of being the device's operator and is
therefore responsible for it's maintenance - if they don't want to be an
operator, they need to be prepared to engage somebody else to
perform that function.

I certainly understand the issue of CPE firmware not being upgraded
regularly. However I think that may be more of a human-computer
interface issue. It isn't easy enough for non-technical people to do -
methods such as a flashing LED, persistent beeper and a upgrade
firmware button might be far more successful. But automated updates that
are distributed and installed without notice or control by ISPs or the
end-CPE owners won't solve the problem without causing possibly bigger
ones.

Regards,
Mark.