[v6ops] Call for adoption: draft-peng-v6ops-hbh

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Sat, 11 September 2021 13:28 UTC

From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: v6ops@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:28:01 +0100
Subject: [v6ops] Call for adoption: draft-peng-v6ops-hbh

I read draft-peng-v6ops-hbh as a part of thinking about the adoption
call in v6OPS.

* I do think that it would be useful for v6OPS to produce an
Informational RFC in this topic. As someone who reviews documents across
different areas, I'd be keen to understand the limitations and
short-term plans for using and evolving equipment - I see WG document as
important in informing the standards process, especially if it has a
representative cross-section of equipment vendors/operators (which I am
not).

* I think the present discussion provided in the ID is likely had some
particular size of router in mind, and I expect that does need to come
across better in scoping the information provided. e.g. I can find a
software a v6 router in my AP, and in an IoT gateway... and many other
places, this I think isn't the target of this ID?  Actually, I suspect
the IETF just needs some (new?) commonly understood terms and I don't
see this as a problem to adoption, but I think it will be a problem that
needs to be addressed before WGLC, especially if this to be utilized by
other WGs as an input!

* I do have one issue: I realise there can be a fine line between
understanding what is feasible/useful and  best current preactive on one
hand, and placing requirements on future specifictaions on the other. I
would be concerned if such an informational draft from the OPS area
attempts to constrain development of INT area standards track specs and
I think the present current section 7 and 8 do have several parts that
cross that line, to me, these need to be rephrased here (or omitted).
I'dd hope that co-ordination with 6man can  ensure that these
operational considerations do reach the people developing the specs.

Gorry Fairhurst