Re: [v6ops] IPv6 over 802.11p - no modifications required

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 04 December 2013 13:07 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 14:07:23 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Greg Daley <hoskuld@hotmail.com>
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] IPv6 over 802.11p - no modifications required

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the reply.

Le 03/12/2013 02:03, Greg Daley a écrit :
> Hi Alex,
>
> Increased RA rates were investigated for MIPv6, and this was not the
> preferred solution (though I submitted the text for the initial
> RFC).

I do remember the activity, although not clearly about the preference.

Yes, frequent RAs may noise slow/latent wireless links.  In 802.11p they
may lead to undesirable loss of urgent messages.

That said, it may be a matter of finding the right ratio between RA
periodicity, the link bandwidth and mandatory 0 probability of loss (for
a given geometry of the RSU deployments and speed limitations).

Currently, the Mobile IPv6 RFC6275 lowers the timer limits to e.g.
MinRtrAdvInterval 0.03 seconds (as opposed to ND's 3 seconds RFC4861).

However, that is a Mobile IPv6 specification, and it does not update the
ND spec.  Mobile IPv6 specs are not considered in RSUs of some 802.11p
deployments. (although MIP specs are considered for the Router in the
vehicle and in the HA).

This is one of the reasons why we suggest this MIP low limit of
MinRtrAdvInterval in this IPv6-over-80211p document.

> Is it applicable to use Detecting Network Attachment procedures (RFC
> 6059) instead of high rates of beacons?

This is a good question.

Is RFC6059 applicable to Router-to-Router communications (a vehicle
holds a Router which connects to another Router sitting aside the road)?

Second, it seems to me the DNA procedures are all preceded by a
mandatory initial step of 'link-layer indication', or 'link up'.  In
802.11 these indicators seem to be, by RFC4957, the receive of a link
layer message (Ass'n Reply, or Auth Reply, or similar.)

But 802.11p being a stripped-off version of 802.11, there is no Ass'n
Reply, no Auth Reply, and the SSID is always the same (all 1s, 'wildcard
BSSID').

This is the reason why I doubt about the applicability of DNA.  I may be
wrong though.

For the IEEE 802.11p specifications see the web, or otherwise just ask.

> (obviously I have a bias, but that was the evolution which brought
> about the working group: MIPv6 o 802.11 w/beacons -> basic change
> detection support in DNA)

Does basic change detection work without a link up indicator?

Alex