Re: [v6ops] Reasons not to endorse NAT66/6to4 (refdraft-kuarsingh-v6ops-provider-managed-tunnel-00)

Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr> Thu, 21 October 2010 16:19 UTC

From: Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:21:23 +0200
To: "Armstrong, Bill R" <Bill.Armstrong@chartercom.com>
Cc: Scott Beuker <Scott.Beuker@sjrb.ca>, v6ops <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Reasons not to endorse NAT66/6to4 (refdraft-kuarsingh-v6ops-provider-managed-tunnel-00)

Le 21 oct. 2010 à 17:40, Armstrong, Bill R a écrit :

> This is it.
>
> I keep hearing "just offer Native" or "deploy -[insert unreleased\un-deployed transition technology here]-" as the way to side step this proposal\problem. But I think the fundamental fact being *consistently* overlooked by the opponents to the draft is that the hands of a good deal of the operators are tied by the currently deployed(+100K's) unmanaged(not the ISPs to touch) CPE.
>
> If the fix offered up to "just enable Native" is "simply" replace ALL the CPE that are IPv6 incapable and\or offer firmware patches for the remaining gear then we may need to have larger discussion on economic realities. Stuff costs money, new stuff doubly so.

It is NOT "simply replace ALL the CPE that are IPv6 incapable".
Brian Carpenter, Sheng Jiang, and myself, propose a simple solution for native IPv6 across NAT44 CPEs i(draft-despres-softwire-6a44-00).
Its limitation (strong at this point, but which may evolve as the specification gets well understood) is that it depends on an update in host software.
Host software upgrades appear to be unavoidable to achieve simple, efficient, and reliable, native IPv6 across legacy CPEs.

> We need to stop looking at this as an OR to SOLVE the IPv6 problem but rather view it as an AND (as seen in bANDaid) which can help foster the adoption of IPv6.

We all agree, I believe, that one size doesn't fit all.

The specific danger of NAT66/6to4 is that, being easy to implement and to operate, there is a temptation to deploy it.
But, if deployed, it breaks things that worked before.
In particular it breaks the possibility to advertise one's own 6to4 address and to be reachable at this address by IPv6 hosts that have access to a 6to4 relay.
(Besides, but this is less important, the amount of user experience that could be improved by a NAT66/6to4 deployment is unclear.)

Regards,
RD