Re: [v6ops] Reasons not to endorse NAT66/6to4(ref draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-provider-managed-tunnel-00)

Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr> Thu, 28 October 2010 08:08 UTC

From: Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:10:01 +0200
To: Victor Kuarsingh <victor.kuarsingh@gmail.com>
Cc: Scott Beuker <Scott.Beuker@sjrb.ca>, v6ops v6ops <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Reasons not to endorse NAT66/6to4(ref draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-provider-managed-tunnel-00)

Le 28 oct. 2010 à 04:14, Victor Kuarsingh a écrit :

> Remi,
>
> I do appreciate the points from the group.  I agree, IPv6 native =
> good/best.  I also agree, where I cannot have Native IPv6, we will provide a
> more managed solution (like 6RD).

Note that a useful distinction here is between native-IPv6 ROUTING and native-IPv6 ADDRESSES.
6rd does provide native-IPv6 ADDRESSES to customers (unlike 5to4 and Teredo).
This is because users can't even detect that their IPv6 packets traverse some IPv4-only routing domain via tunnels.

> But unfortunately, neither of these options help operators where there are
> "unmanaged" devices which are not yet upgraded to support such technologies.
> Believe it or not, many persons do not ever upgrade their firmware in their
> home gateways)

Not only I do believe it, but its is precisely why, with Brian and Sheng, we propose 6a44 (www.ietf.org/id/draft-despres-softwire-6a44-01).
- It offers to native-IPv6 addresses to 6a44-capable hosts that are behind NAT44-CPEs.
- It is plug and play.
- Traffic between two hosts behind the same NAT44-CPE remains within their site.
- It can work even in sites that only get private IPv4 addresses of RFC 1918.

> Operators need an option to help customers who have not yet replaced
> equipment which has a "current set" of features (and as noted, this often
> includes 6to4 default operation).

That's why current 6to4 users shouldn't lose the ability to be reached at their 6to4 address, including by hosts that have native-Ipv6 addresses and routes via 6to4 relays.
Adding a NAT66 to 6to4 relays breaks this ability.
This technical reality MUST NOT be ignored.

> ... But, many
> operators have commented on this list that the reality in our networks is
> that we cannot control all our CPE endpoints, and replacing them is many
> times out of our control.

Indeed, and 6a44 has been designed for them.
(We have to face that many existing CPEs don't support 6to4.)

> It appears that that a number of commenter's in this list would rather us
> (operators) not address this segment of the population, and just "hope" that
> IPv4 only will work for them

I noticed that too, and believe they don't understand the situation.

All my personal efforts, from 6rd to 6a44, and including opposition to endorsing the NAT66-6to4 combination, are to promote good user experience with IPv6.

> I offer this question to the list, what "option" is available for the
> "non-upgraded" and "IPv4 only" endpoints?

If neither the host not the CPE is upgraded, the host is left with IPv4-only and NAT44's, with their limitations.

> Would the group agree with this statement "we would rather provide no IPv6
> at all rather then IPv6 based on 6to4-PMT"?

That's a strange question because adding NAT66 to 6to4 doesn't increase the number of IPv6 addresses offered to customers.
It just modifies what a host can do with its IPv6 address:
(a) It ensures a return path for connections from 6to4 to native IPv6
(b) It breaks the possibility to be reachable at this IPv6 address.

It has to be faced that (b) would be a terrible step backward for 6to4 (and for IPv6 in general).
(See what James Woodyatt, among the well-known best friends of 6to4, says about it.)

> Constructive options welcome.

6a44 is a constructive option.
(Reactions to the proposal are most welcome.)

Destructive proposals are legitimate only as long as it isn't clear that they are destructive.
And it happens (unfortunately I agree) that adding NAT66 to 6to4 IS destructive

Regards,
RD

Red