Re: [v6ops] Looking for info on IGP choices in production dual-stack networks

Yannis Nikolopoulos <yanodd@otenet.gr> Sun, 07 June 2015 15:21 UTC

Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 18:20:57 +0300
From: Yannis Nikolopoulos <yanodd@otenet.gr>
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>, Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Cc: v6ops list <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Looking for info on IGP choices in production dual-stack networks

Hello Mark, Philip

(as an operator with a dual stack network in place) when I first read
through the draft I found it useful, especially for operators just
starting out with IPv6. Please find some comments inline

On 06/06/2015 10:17 AM, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> So I've spent more than the last 2 hours writing many abandoned
> emailed responses, if the below sounds a bit short, it's only because
> I want to send something to get some thoughts out there for consideration!

In my mind, it's about IGP implementations, not IGPs

> / I think it is mixing together comparisons of both, but then it is
> attributing all of those characteristics to the protocols, rather than
> to either the protocols or implementations of the protocols (e.g.,
> "Known to work well" is certainly a protocol implementation
> characteristic, and is implementation specific (as Mikael
> Abrahamsson's contrary evidence shows) )
>
> / The results of comparison of protocols will remain the same unless
> the protocols change, which doesn't occur often. The results of
> comparison of implementations of those protocols (e.g., "Known to work
> well") can change tomorrow with a firmware update.

In our case, we've been running the IPv4/OSPFv2 - IPv6/IS-IS combination
for quite a few years now so a firmware update or something along those
lines, would not really affect the overall "experience"

> / - what level of knowledge of IGPs and IGP selection considerations
> does the audience have?

supposedly, the audience is network operators, so a certain degree of
knowledge should be considered a given.

> / By not including a number of important IGP selection criteria that
> need to be considered (e.g., available control plane resources,
> addressing aggregation boundaries, vendor implementation maturity
> etc.), it implies that the audience should already have an
> understanding of the all of the criteria for IGP selection.

well, yes they should. This document's intended audience is operators
who are starting out with IPv6, not people starting out with IP networks
in general.

> / Yet the inclusion of the "Known to work well" information, without
> any implementation or deployment detail, seems to be implying that the
> choice can be so simple that if you don't know what to select, just
> select one of the protocol combinations with a "Y" in that column.
> Given how critical an IGP is to the reliable operation of a network,
> "staying ignorant" of IGP implementation details such as maturity,
> capacity limitations etc. is dangerous.

The choice is not so simple, you're right. It shouldn't come down to
looking up a table in an Internet draft. I believe that the "IGP Choice"
table could also be quite useful as it is, even if "Known to work well"
column can be a bit ambiguous and/or inadequate on its own as as
selection criterion. That's why it would help if the section is enriched
with comments and notes about said implementation choices.

regards,
Yannis