Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-experience-05.txt

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Thu, 19 December 2013 20:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:35:08 -0500
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-experience-05.txt

Le 2013-12-11 12:52, Fred Baker (fred) a écrit :
> let's take until 20 December to discuss this - WGLC.

I read the draft carefully. Maybe it is because I have been involved in
NAT64 since the start, but I found a lot of text to be evident or
repeated from other RFCs. Anyway, I don't think this repetition is
harmful, and could be useful for people new to NAT64. And there are a
few new and useful nuggets. So go ahead and publish this.

Minor comments inline.

Simon

> [...]
>    publication of this document.  Please review these documents
>    carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
>    to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
>    include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
>

> Chen, et al.              Expires June 21, 2014                 [Page 1]
>
> Internet-Draft              NAT64 Experience               December 2013
>

>    the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
>    described in the Simplified BSD License.
>
> Table of Contents
>
>    1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   2
>    2.  Terminology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
>    3.  NAT64 Networking Experience . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>      3.1.  NAT64-CGN Consideration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>        3.1.1.  NAT64-CGN Usages  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>        3.1.2.  DNS64 Deployment  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   4
>        3.1.3.  NAT64 Placement . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5
>        3.1.4.  Co-existence of NAT64 and NAT44 . . . . . . . . . . .   5
>      3.2.  NAT64-FE Consideration  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   6
>    4.  High Availability . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
>      4.1.  Redundancy Design . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   7
>      4.2.  Load Balancing  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9
>    5.  Source Address Transparency . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9
>      5.1.  Traceability  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   9
>      5.2.  Geo-location  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  10
>    6.  Quality of Experience . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  11
>      6.1.  Service Reachability  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  11
>      6.2.  Resource Reservation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  12
>    7.  MTU Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  13
>    8.  ULA Usages  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  14
>    9.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  14
>    10. IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  15
>    11. Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  15
>    12. Additional Author List  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  15
>    13. References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
>      13.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  16
>      13.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  18
>    Appendix A.  Testing Results of Application Behavior  . . . . . .  20
>    Authors' Addresses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  21
>
> 1.  Introduction
>
>    IPv6 is the only sustainable solution for numbering nodes on Internet
>    due to the IPv4 depletion.  Network operators have to deploy
>    IPv6-only networks in order to meet the needs of the expanding
>    internet without available IPv4 addresses.
>
>    Single stack IPv6 network deployment can simplify network's

s/'s//

> [...]
>    will not make the jump quickly.  The Internet will include nodes that
>    are dual-stack, nodes that remain IPv4-only, and nodes that can be
>    deployed as IPv6-only nodes.  A translation mechanism based on a
>    NAT64[RFC6146] [RFC6145]function is likely to be a key element of the
>    Internet for IPv6-IPv4 interoperability.
>
>    [RFC6036] reports at least 30% of operators plan to run some kind of
>    translator (presumably NAT64/DNS64).  Advice on NAT64 deployment and
>    operations are therefore of some importance.  [RFC6586] documents the
>    implications for IPv6 only networks.  This document intends to be
>    specific to NAT64 network planning.
>
> 2.  Terminology
>
>    In regards to IPv4/IPv6 translation, [RFC6144] has described a
>    framework of enabling networks to make interworking possible between
>    IPv4 and IPv6 networks.  This document has further categorized
>    different NAT64 function locations and use cases.  The principle
>    distinction of location is if the NAT64 is located in a Carrier Grade
>    NAT or server Front End. The terms of NAT-CGN/FE are understood to be
>    a topological distinction indicating different features employed in a
>    NAT64 deployment.
>
>    NAT64 Carrier Grade NAT (NAT64-CGN):  A NAT64-CGN is placed in an ISP
>       network.  IPv6 subscribers leverage the NAT64-CGN to access
>       existing IPv4 internet services.  The ISP as an administrative
>       entity takes full control on the IPv6 side, but has limited or no
>       control on the IPv4 side.  NAT64-CGN may have to consider the IPv4
>       Internet environment and services to make appropriate
>       configurations.
>
>    NAT64 server Front End (NAT64-FE):  A NAT64-FE is generally a device
>       with NAT64 functionality in a content provider or data center
>       network.  It could be for example a traffic load balancer or a
>       firewall.  The operator of the NAT64-FE has full control over the
>       IPv4 network within the data center, but only limited influence or
>       control over the external IPv6 network.
>

> Chen, et al.              Expires June 21, 2014                 [Page 3]
>
> Internet-Draft              NAT64 Experience               December 2013
>

> 3.  NAT64 Networking Experience
>
> 3.1.  NAT64-CGN Consideration
>
> 3.1.1.  NAT64-CGN Usages
>
>    Fixed network operators and mobile operators may locate NAT64 in
>    access networks or in mobile core networks.  It can be built into
>    various devices, including routers, gateways or firewalls in order to
>    connect IPv6 users to the IPv4 Internet.  With regard to the numbers
>    of users and the shortage of public IPv4 addresses, stateful
>    NAT64[RFC6146] is more adapted to perform some maximal sharing of
>    public IPv4 addresses.  The usage of stateless NAT64 can be seen with
>    better transparency features
>    [I-D.ietf-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation], while it has to be
>    coordinated with A+P[RFC6346] processes as specified in
>    [I-D.ietf-softwire-map-t]and [I-D.ietf-softwire-4rd] in order to cope

[I-D.ietf-softwire-4rd] now looks very unlike stateless NAT64. I suggest
removing the reference and keeping only MAP-T, which uses regular
RFC6145 translation.

> [...]
>    document.
>
> 4.  High Availability
>
> 4.1.  Redundancy Design
>
>    High Availability (HA) is a major requirement for every service and
>    network services.  The deployment of redundancy mechanism is an
>    essential approach to avoid single-point failure and significantly
>    increase the network reliability.  It's not only useful to stateful
>    NAT64 cases, but also to stateless NAT64 gateways.
>
>    Three redundancy modes are mainly used hereafter: cold standby, warm
>    standby and hot standby.
>
>    o  Cold standby can't replicate the NAT64 states from the primary
>       equipment to the backup.  Administrators switch on the backup
>       NAT64 only if the primary NAT64 fails.  As the results, all the
>       existing established sessions will be disconnected.  The internal
>       hosts are required to re-establish sessions to the external hosts.
>       Since the backup NAT64 is manually configured to switch over to
>       active NAT64, it may have unpredictable impacts to the ongoing
>       services.  Normally, the handover would take several minutes so as
>       to wait for the whole process of NAT64 bootstrap loader.
>
>    o  Warm standby is a flavor of the cold standby mode.  Backup NAT64
>       would keep running once the primary NAT64 is working.  This makes
>       warm standby less time consuming during the traffic failover.
>       Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)[RFC5798] can be a
>       solution to enable automatic handover in the warm standby.  It was
>       tested that the handover takes as maximum as 1 minute if the
>       backup NAT64 needs to take over routing and re-construct the
>       Binding Information Bases (BIBs) for 30 million sessions.  In
>

> Chen, et al.              Expires June 21, 2014                 [Page 7]
>
> Internet-Draft              NAT64 Experience               December 2013
>

>       deployment phase, operators could balance loads on distinct NAT64s
>       devices.  Those NAT64s make a warm backup of each other.
>
>    o  Hot standby must synchronize the BIBs between the primary NAT64
>       and backup.  When the primary NAT64 fails, backup NAT64 would take
>       over and maintain the state of all existing sessions.  The
>       internal hosts don't have to re-connect the external hosts.  The
>       handover time has been extremely reduced.  Thanks to Bidirectional
>       Forwarding Detection (BFD) [RFC5880] combining with VRRP, a delay
>       of only 35ms for 30 million sessions handover was observed during
>       testing.  In some sense, it could guarantee the session continuity
>       for every service.  In order to timely transmit session states,
>       operators may have to deploy extra transport links between primary
>       NAT64 and distant backup.  The scale of synchronization data
>       instance is depending on the particular deployment.  For example,
>       If a NAT64-CGN is served for 200,000 users, the average amount of
>       800, 000 sessions per second is roughly estimated for new created
>       and expired sessions.  A 10Gbps transport link should be used for

This last recommendation needs to be qualified. There are deployments
where less than 10 Gbps is plenty.

>    In general, cold-standby and warm-standby is simpler and less
>    resource intensive, but it requires clients to re-establish sessions
>    when a fail-over occurs.  Hot standby doubles resource's consumption

"doubles" --> This can vary considerably from one implementation to
another. This assertion needs to be qualified.

In addition, there is at least one implementation that allows both the
main and the standby to forward traffic simultaneously, approximately
doubling the effective capacity when both machines are up. In that case,
state synchronization is bidirectional.

>    to synchronize the states, but it achieve seamless handover.  The
>    consideration of redundancy mode for stateless NAT64 is simple,
>    because it doesn't have to consider time consuming for states
>    maintenance.  The warm standby is sufficient for stateless NAT64.  In

"Warm standby" does not apply to stateless NAT64 since there is no state
synchronization. I would suggest to rephrase as: "State synchronization
is unnecessary for stateless NAT64."

>    regards to stateful NAT64, it may be useful to investigate
>    performance tolerance of applications and the traffic characteristics
>    in a particular network.  Some testing results are shown in the
>    Appendix A.
>
>    Our statistics in a mobile network shown that almost 91.21% of amount
>    of traffic is accounted by browsing services.  Those services don't
>    require session continuity.  The handover time of warm standby is
>    qualified to the delay tolerance.  Hot-standby does not offer much
>    benefit for those sessions on this point.  In a fixed network, HTTP
>    streaming, p2p and online games would be the major
>    traffic[Cisco-VNI].  Consideration should be given to the importance
>    of maintaining bindings for those sessions across failover.
>    Operators may also consider the Average Revenue Per User (ARPU)
>    factors to deploy suitable redundancy mode.  Warm standby may still
>    be adopted to cover most services while hot standby could be used to
>    upgrade Quality of Experience (QoE) using DNS64 with different
>    synthetic responses for limited traffic.  Further considerations are
>    discussed at Section 6.
>

> Chen, et al.              Expires June 21, 2014                 [Page 8]
>
> Internet-Draft              NAT64 Experience               December 2013
>

> 4.2.  Load Balancing
>
>    Load balancing is used to accompany redundancy design so that better
>    scalability and resiliency could be achieved.  Stateless NAT64s allow
>    asymmetric routing while anycast-based solutions are recommended in
>    [I-D.ietf-softwire-map-deployment].  The deployment of load balancing
>    may make more sense to stateful NAT64s for the sake of single-point
>    failure avoidance.  Since the NAT64-CGN and NAT64-FE have distinct
>    facilities, the following lists the considerations for each case.
>
>    o  NAT64-CGN equipment doesn't implement load balancer functions on a
>       board card.  Therefore, the gateways have to resort to DNS64 or
>       internal host's behavior.  Once DNS64 is deployed, the load
>       balancing can be performed by synthesizing AAAA response with
>       different IPv6 prefixes.  For the applications not requiring DNS
>       resolver, internal hosts could learn multiple IPv6 prefixes
>       through the approaches defined in[RFC7050] and then select one
>       based on a given prefix selection policy.

There is at least one implementation that allows both the main and the
standby to forward traffic simultaneously, with bidirectional state
synchronization. (I don't know if one can build a farm of >2 such
machines.) This is one form of load balancing that should be mentioned here.

>    o  A dedicated Load Balancer could be deployed at front of a NAT64-FE
>       farm.  Load Balancer uses proxy mode to redirect the flows to the
>       appropriate NAT64 instance.  Stateful NAT64s require a
>       deterministic pattern to arrange the traffic in order to ensure
>       outbound/inbound flows traverse the identical NAT64.  Therefore,
>       static scheduling algorithms, for example source-address based
>       policy, is preferred.  A dynamic algorithm, for example Round-
>       Robin, may have impacts on applications seeking session
>       continuity, which described in the Table 1.

I doubt that this is a valid load balancing method. For a fixed amount
of traffic, it is less work to apply NAT64 than to apply load balancing.

That's all!

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca