Re: [v6ops] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Thu, 22 October 2020 15:20 UTC

To: Erik Kline <ek.ietf@gmail.com>, Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, V6Ops Chairs <v6ops-chairs@ietf.org>, v6ops list <v6ops@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum@ietf.org
From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 12:19:10 -0300
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 22/10/20 11:28, Erik Kline wrote:
> I agree.  I just think then the text about "the lesser of two lifetime
> values" doesn't quite read correctly nor give the impression that this
> applies to things like ULA prefixes.  I think it's probably pretty
> easy to fix with minimal text.

My shot at it:

At the end of this:

    CE routers SHOULD set the Router Lifetime to ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT.  CE
    routers SHOULD also set the PIO Preferred Lifetime to the lesser of
    the remaining preferred lifetime (see Section 3.1) and
    ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT, and the PIO Valid Lifetime to the lesser of the
    remaining valid lifetime and ND_VALID_LIMIT.

Add:

"If a ULA prefix is locally generated as specified in [RFC4193] and
advertised on the LAN-side via PIO options, the corresponding PIO
Preferred Lifetime and Valid Lifetime SHOULD be set to
ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT and ND_VALID_LIMIT, respectively."

At the end of:

    CE Routers providing stateful address configuration via DHCPv6 SHOULD
    set the DHCPv6 IA Address Option preferred-lifetime to the lesser of
    the remaining preferred lifetime and ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT, and the
    valid-lifetime of the same option to the lesser of the remaining
    valid lifetime and ND_VALID_LIMIT.

Add:

"If a ULA prefix is locally generated as specified in [RFC4193] and
employed for stateful address configuration via DHCPv6, the
corresponding DHCPv6 IA Address Option preferred-lifetime and
valid-lifetime SHOULD be set to ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT and ND_VALID_LIMIT,
respectively.

Finally, for the DHCPv6-PD case, at the end of:

    CE Routers providing DHCPv6-PD on the LAN-side SHOULD set the DHCPv6
    IA Prefix Option preferred-lifetime to the lesser of the remaining
    preferred lifetime and ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT, and the valid-lifetime of
    the same option to the lesser of the remaining valid lifetime and
    ND_VALID_LIMIT.

Add:

"If a ULA prefix is locally generated as specified in [RFC4193] and the
  CE Router provides DHCPv6-PD on the LAN-side, it SHOULD set the DHCPv6
  IA Prefix Option preferred-lifetime to ND_PREFERRED_LIMIT, and the
  valid-lifetime of the same option to ND_VALID_LIMIT."

Thoughts?

P.S.: Bottom-line is that this is only special for ULA prefixes that are
*locally* generated, since in that case there's only one lifetime
involved (no "lifetimes" from the upstream).

Thanks,
Fernando