[v6ops] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc6555bis-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Mon, 16 October 2017 13:22 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc6555bis@ietf.org, Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>, v6ops-chairs@ietf.org, rbonica@juniper.net, v6ops@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 06:22:20 -0700
Subject: [v6ops] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc6555bis-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc6555bis-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc6555bis/

DISCUSS:

I would totally be a yes on this document, but I would like to first discuss a
processing issue: I do not agree with the assessment that this draft should
obsolete RFC6555. The draft itself says: "This document expands on "Happy
Eyeballs" [RFC6555]..." which sounds to me like an update. Further I believe
RFC6555 is still a valid algorithm that can be used as specified, also RFC6555
provides probably more useful background info that is not captured by this new
draft. I would recommend to update instead. Also, in any case the obsolete or
update should to be mentioned in the abstract.

COMMENT:

Question on the equation in section 5:
"MAX( 1.25 * RTT_MEAN + 4 * RTT_VARIANCE, 2 *RTT_MEAN )"
While it is not well explained how RTT_MEAN and RTT_VARIANCE are measured, I
would recommend to just use *3RTT instead (where RTT is the value you have
cached for a certain destination address, no matter how that has been
measured/calculated), as RFC2988 says:

"When the first RTT measurement R is made, the host MUST set

            SRTT <- R
            RTTVAR <- R/2
            RTO <- SRTT + max (G, K*RTTVAR)"

which translates to 3*R if you only have one value.

I also don't think that is is necessary to talk about exponential backoff. To
me that seems more confusing than helpful here.

However, it might be helpful to note that 3*RTT also means that in the best
case the handshake is already completed before you try the next address. And
further, I would assume that you might still want to have a fixed max default
value (of e.g. 300ms or 250ms?) because otherwise on paths where you have high
delay sequential probing might be too slow, no?