Re: [v6ops] Please review draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Tue, 11 October 2011 20:43 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, v6ops v6ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:43:28 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Behave Chairs <behave-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn@tools.ietf.org" <draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Please review draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn

I'm not sure why this draft is classified as experimental and not informational or even standards track formally updating RFC6264 and/or shirasaki-nat444.

After reading this: http://www.ietf.org/old/2009/u/ietfchair/info-exp.html I'm still not sure why. Can someone involved in the discussion apply the clue brick?

In terms of the meat of the document, I think that the document needs to cover the case where ports are not allocated sequentially (such as in order to reduce the determinisim and make it harder for a rogue entity to guess the next port, or for privacy reasons). It may work basically the same way as when a subscriber exceeds their pre-allocated ports, but the draft should explicitly cover this.

Also, it would be good to discuss failover cases - how much (if any) state has to be maintained between CGNs in order to ensure adequate logging information is available during common failover cases (failure within the CGN instance, failure between two standalone CGN instances, etc). I'm not suggesting discussion of how to make a CGN fail over, I'm only talking about the considerations unique to this implementation.

Lastly - the draft should recommend (possibly even a MUST) that implementers should provide a means to reverse the mapping algorithm. One of the challenges for any mapping algorithm is that one must understand it well enough to reverse it, and either do manual calculations to determine the mapping, or write a tool to do it. The path chosen largely depends on the frequency of the requests for that type of information. It makes far more sense for the implementer to make their mapping available in both directions so that there is no guesswork on the part of the operator as to whether they are reverse-engineering the mapping properly to arrive at the correct result.

Thanks,

Wes George