Re: [v6ops] draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world: clarification text

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Wed, 22 April 2015 17:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 10:17:26 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc: draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world@tools.ietf.org, v6ops@ietf.org, merike@doubleshotsecurity.com, fgont@si6networks.com
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-gont-v6ops-ipv6-ehs-in-real-world: clarification text

On 4/21/2015 11:40 PM, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> <flame retardant suit on>
>
>> Protecting the control plane can be done by the receiving host
>> (destination router).
>
> This is a fundamental disagreement. Protecting the control plane needs
> to be done by *all* intermediate routers in today's somewhat hostile
> Internet environment. That also includes some traffic not explicitly
> addressed to the routers themselves (for instance traceroute to a
> destination reached *through* the routers). Only looking at traffic
> addressed to the routers themselves is not sufficient.

Sure - so here's the solution:

1) declare that your routers won't accept "host" packets (i.e., to their
interface addresses) that use EHs

	if you want to try, extend that to any AS whose routing
	packets you want to DDOS filter (but they need to think this
	is acceptable)

2) if you want to do DDOS filtering, do so on IP addresses for the
specific routers you are trying to protect

	either rate-limit everything to that address, drop
	anything with an EH, rate-limit/drop based on TCP/UDP
	ports, or any combination thereof

I.e., not using EHs is your prerogative, and not forwarding EHs to
others is *their* prerogative, but castrating IPv6 for the entire
Internet is not necessary.

Joe