Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem WGLC

"Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com> Thu, 23 October 2014 11:51 UTC

From: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
To: Andrew šŸ‘½ Yourtchenko <ayourtch@gmail.com>, "fred@cisco.com" <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:51:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.132]
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcpv6-slaac-problem WGLC

Hi Andrew,

Really appreciate your careful review and the comments.
Please find replies inline.

[Bing] I'll consider this together with Lorenzo's comment. Maybe another big revision is needed.

> More specific comments:
>
> 2.1.  M (Managed) Flag
>
> "The M flag indicates that addresses are available from IPv6."
>
> s/IPv6/DHCPv6/ ?
[Bing] My fault. Sorry.

> "the O flag is redundant and can be ignored"
>
> Could be good to have an explicit reference to section
>
> "4.2.Router Advertisement Message Format" of RFC4861 where this text is
> coming from.
[Bing] Ok, will do.

> 2.3.  A (Autonomous) Flag
>
> "The A flag indicates that the prefix that is also carried by the PI
>    option can be used for SLAAC.  A flag semantics are independent of M
>    and O flag semantics.  The A flag indicates that the prefix can be
>    used by SLAAC, regardless of the M and O flag settings."
>
> What about rephrasing this as:
>
> "The A flag, carried within the Prefix Information option, indicates that the
> prefix in this option can be used for stateless autoconfiguration. Flag
> semantics are independent of M and O flags, and their values do not affect
> whether this prefix can be used or not."
[Bing] It's better, thank you.

> "3.2.1.  Inappropriate Sources"
>
> interesting finding. Why is it a problem worth solving ?
[Bing] A host who self-configuring the IP address will not be able to do a stateless configuration.
Say, a sensor self-configures ULA address and needs to get other information from DHCPv6 server. In this scenario, stateful DHCPv6 might be too heavy for the system.

> "3.2.2.  Renumbering"
>
> The three steps described read as a sequence, whereas they are alternative
> renumbering strategies. This should be rephrased to make it clearer.
>
> Also, the renumbering discusses flash renumbering process. Should it also
> make a reference to rfc4192 which is aiming to perform a renumbering
> without a flag day, and look at the issues accordingly ?
[Bing] The intended meaning is actually to caution that a flash renumbering might happen on some operating systems when the M flag is turned off.
The wording needs to be revised.

> Appendix A:
>
> A.1:
>
> "Host 1: Window 7 / Window 8.1 Virtual Host" - Windows should be in plural.
> "Host 2: Ubuntu 14.04" - is it Ubuntu Desktop in default configuration ? I
> presume so, but it should be mentioned explicitly.
[Bing] Yes, they're all in default configuration. Will revise accordingly.

> A.3:
>
> "reveiving A transitiong" => needs spellcheck and potentially rephrase for the
> sentence.
[Bing] Will do.

> Appendix B:
[Bing] This appendix is an analysis in theory that what ambiguities are existing in current standards. It is a hint, might not necessarily means operational problems.
I think your following questions are useful for the DHCPv6/SLAAC Interaction Guidance draft. I'll consider them in that draft.

Many thanks.

Best regards,
Bing