Re: [v6ops] FW: ULA & Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers

Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> Mon, 13 December 2010 21:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:37:44 +1030
From: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
To: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] FW: ULA & Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:03:37 -0600
"Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com> wrote:

> FYI to v6ops.  Also, James, please note that Brian Carpenter already
> said that the ULA text in the IPv6 CE router document was already agreed
> upon (with rough or whatever consensus) and then the document went past
> the IESG and to the RFC Editor queue.  So we could avoid debating the
> existing ULA text in the document.  The only debate is related to new
> text which relates to the coexistence problem with the solution to the
> problem as the MSR in the RA for the ULA.  As Fred also says, any other
> issue can be taken up in the IPv6 CE router bis document.
>
> The reason I am sending the email below to a wider audience is to bring
> out one key fact.  The fact being that the private IPv4 and IPv6 ULA
> coexistence problem causing Internet access delay for the host in the
> home is NOT merely a coexistence problem with the ULA.  The problem also
> exists with the IPv6 GUA (Globally Unique Address).  See below.

I've been wondering a bit why ICMPv6 destination unreachables didn't
solve the problem, but figured I didn't completely understand the
the problem yet.

I don't think announcing a router lifetime of zero solves it for the
ULA only case, as I think it would prevent inter-LAN interface routing
between ULA subnets in a ULA only scenario. I'd think nodes would
consider every off-link destination to be unreachable if they don't
consider the CPE a default router.

I think it would also think the coexistence issue, in the absence
of ICMPv6 destination unreachables, would occur for ULA only
devices when there are some LAN interfaces with a global + ULA prefixes
and others that are ULA only. The current RA lifetime zero text wouldn't
apply in that situation.

Regards,
Mark.