Re: [VCARDDAV] vcardrev-12 sections 5.1, 5.5

"Javier Godoy" <rjgodoy@fich.unl.edu.ar> Tue, 13 July 2010 22:05 UTC

From: Javier Godoy <rjgodoy@fich.unl.edu.ar>
To: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:05:02 -0300
Cc: vcarddav@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] vcardrev-12 sections 5.1, 5.5

On 2010-07-13 10:26, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On 2010-07-13 04:39, Javier Godoy wrote:
>> Note also that the ABNF for BIRTH-param doesn't include a pid-param
>> alternative, thus rendering the example illegal even if 5.5 is redefined..
>
> AARGH! You're very right. We need a new example that uses a different
> property.
>
> How about this one? I tried to illustrate every possible case to make
> things really clear. Does it help?

Yes, it answers my question.

About the proposed examples, the explanation aftear each one helps a lot for
understanding why they are illegal while other similar examples are legal.

The "legal but questionable" part is also useful, though I have another
question.

>     TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr;PID=1:Patron
>     TITLE;LANGUAGE=en;PID=2:Boss
> (Should probably have the same PID value.)
>
>     TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
>     TITLE:Boss
>     (Second line should probably have LANGUAGE=en.)

Do we want to emphasize the difference between

     TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
     TITLE;LANGUAGE=en:Boss

and

     TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
     TITLE;LANGUAGE=en:Chief vCard Evangelist
?

In the first example there is a single logical property, in the second one
there are two logical properties.
I think it is likely they will be treated differently (e.g. displaying either
"Boss" or "Patron" according to the user preferences, and displaying both
"Chief vCard Evangelist" and "Patron" because they are different values).

While the specification doesn't mandate what is to be done in each case, it
should allow the difference to be realized, so that implementation-defined
actions can be performed.

Maybe the PID parameter SHOULD be used if values in different languages are
given.for a property with cardinality (0,n) or (1,n), in order to disambiguate
whether they are logically related or not.

Then the following two examples would be legal:
TITLE;PID=1;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
TITLE;PID=1;LANGUAGE=en:Boss

TITLE;PID=1;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
TITLE;PID=2;LANGUAGE=en:Chief vCard Evangelist

And the following examples would be legal but questionable

TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
TITLE;LANGUAGE=en:Boss
(should probably use the same PID value.)

TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
TITLE;LANGUAGE=en:Chief vCard Evangelist
(should probably use different PID values.)

TITLE;LANGUAGE=fr:Patron
TITLE:Boss
(should probably use the same PID value, and second line should probably have
LANGUAGE=en.)

Best Regards

Javier