Re: [video-codec] VP9 and HEVC compression challenges @ PCS 2013

Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org> Thu, 07 February 2013 22:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 17:02:14 -0500
From: Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org>
To: video-codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [video-codec] VP9 and HEVC compression challenges @ PCS 2013

This is a very interesting approach toward advancing video coding
technology.  One question I have is under what licensing conditions will
contributions be made?  The main concern, of course, would be that
someone would submit a technique that someone might claim is patented.
Are any conditions being laid in place to protect contributions from
such a problem?  While I am not sure about the final licensing situation
of HEVC, at least VP9 is likely to be intended to be ultimately released
under a free software license, and we know the kinds of troubles that
issues surrounding software patents have caused in the past toward
adoption of technologies that would otherwise be considered free software.

In all honesty, even large corporations struggle with this problems, so
I wonder how a competition such as this can avoid this problem.  The
reason I mention this is, as stated above, any contribution or
modification to the reference encoder for VP9 will likely not be adopted
lest it be quite clear from known patent risks.

To put it bluntly, this kind of a competition, in the current legal and
patent climate, has a smell about it that seems like it will do less to
advance free/libre causes and be more advantageous to existing
stakeholders, as the deck is stacked in their favor.  Protections
addressing some of the previously-raised concerns might alleviate that
somewhat.