Re: [VRRP] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec

"Stephen Nadas" <stephen.nadas@ericsson.com> Mon, 13 July 2009 14:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:50:29 -0500
From: Stephen Nadas <stephen.nadas@ericsson.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, iesg@ietf.org
Cc: vrrp-chairs@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec@tools.ietf.org, vrrp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [VRRP] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec

Hi Jari,

1) As to VRRP and SEND, is this text agreeable to you?

   In the context of IPv6 operation, if SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND)
   is deployed, VRRP is s compatible with the "trust anchor" and "trust
   anchor or cga" modes of SEND [RFC3971].  The (SEND) configuration
   needs to give the master and backup routers the same prefix
   delegation in the certificates so that master and backup routers
   advertize the same set of subnet prefixes.  However, the master and
   backup routers should have their own key pairs to avoid private key
   sharing.

2) As to

"Requirement to send router advertisements is in 6.4.2 but not in 6.4.3,
why?"

(I realized it's not so easy to discuss this and be sure we are
discussing the same things, so please see attached where I added line #s
to identify (it's just 6.4.1 thri 6.4.3).  I'm not sure I love this
approach, but it it at least clrifying...)

I think you are talking about in section 6.4.2 (395) (?) which occurs on
backup -> master transition.  But in 6.4.3 (630) says to send RA.  I
don't yet understand your comment, can you clarify?

3) as to

"In Section 6.4.3, the Accept_Mode flag is only checked in the IPv6
branch of the code, is this correct?"

This looks like a good catch.  Looks like I should add an analogue of
(635) after (610).

4) as to

"In Section 6.4.3, I don't understand how there's first a MUST statement
on responding to Neighbor Solicitations, and then two steps later a
conditional statement based on the value of Accept_Mode, again on the
the same thing, responding to NSes."

I think this is in connection with (625) and (635). (635) was to cover
this case:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vrrp/current/msg00806.html

Thanks,
Steve