Re: [VRRP] New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-03

"Stephen Nadas" <stephen.nadas@ericsson.com> Wed, 08 July 2009 11:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 06:37:11 -0500
From: Stephen Nadas <stephen.nadas@ericsson.com>
To: Don Provan <dprovan@bivio.net>, vrrp@ietf.org
Cc: Radia Perlman <Radia.Perlman@sun.com>, Mukesh Gupta <mukesh.gupta@tropos.com>
Subject: Re: [VRRP] New Version Notification fordraft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-03

I concur and will change this, thanks.
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Provan [mailto:dprovan@bivio.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:26 PM
To: Stephen Nadas; vrrp@ietf.org
Cc: Radia Perlman; Mukesh Gupta
Subject: RE: [VRRP] New Version Notification
fordraft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-03

For section 7,

  7) section 6.1 add "Virtual_Router_MAC_Address"

  1003a1034,1038
  > 	    <t hangText="Virtual_Router_MAC_Address">The MAC address
  > 	    used for the source MAC address in VRRP advertisements
  > 	    (and in some other cases as well).</t>

I suggest "The MAC address used for the source MAC address in
VRRP advertisements and advertised in ARP responses as the MAC
address to use for IP_Addresses." This serves two purposes.
First, to emphasize what is really the central use of the VR
MAC address. Second, to discourage thinking that there are any
"other cases" beyond these two where the VR MAC address should be used.

Everything else looks OK to me.
-don