Re: [webfinger] [apps-discuss] Mail client configuration via WebFinger

"Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com> Tue, 09 February 2016 01:02 UTC

From: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>
To: Marten Gajda <marten@dmfs.org>, webfinger@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 01:03:21 +0000
Subject: Re: [webfinger] [apps-discuss] Mail client configuration via WebFinger

Marten,

Thanks for the encouraging words; it sounds like you understand the
problem that needs to be solved.

I always felt the server side was the trivial part.  As you said, it's
possible to set up a simple WebFinger server with a static file (or sets
of files), an .htaccess file, etc.  I use a server that pulls data from
a database, myself.  Importantly, though, the WebFinger protocol is very
simple (and I have to thank a number of folks who forced that
simplicity), so I see the server side as being far less of a barrier.
Hosting providers, for example, could very quickly and easily support
this server-side.

The clients are the challenge.  As others have noted, this requires code
changes in the clients and deployment of the clients.  I'm encouraged
that you're working on client code. :)

Having an RFC is going to be an extremely important step to actually
seeing this problem solved.  That said, I did not want to spend time on
something that would be met with total rejection.  It sounds like there
is at least enough interest to start a meaningful dialog, so I'll try to
put together a draft soon and we can go from there.  If you're
interested to collaborate on that, you're certainly welcome.

Paul