RE: NUDGE: WG milestones tool requirements: draft-ietf-genarea-milestones-tool-00.txt

<david.black@emc.com> Fri, 13 May 2011 05:27 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: paul.hoffman@vpnc.org, wgchairs@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 01:24:01 -0400
Subject: RE: NUDGE: WG milestones tool requirements: draft-ietf-genarea-milestones-tool-00.txt
acceptlanguage: en-US

Paul,

I think a means of notifying WG chairs and ADs of changes is needed.
Is the atom feed sufficient for notification?  I would probably prefer to receive email.

It may be useful to allow WG secretaries to access the tool.  Making milestone
updates as part of putting out meeting minutes seems like a logical thing to do.

Section 4 lists 5 changes:

   o  create new milestones
   o  change milestone descriptions
   o  change milestone due dates
   o  change which Internet-Drafts are associated with a milestone
   o  assert that a milestone is completed

And goes on to suggest that the default is that all require AD approval.

IMHO, marking a milestone complete should default to notifying the AD, not waiting for approval.  I routinely send these completion requests directly to ietf-action.  I would suggest that due date changes and Internet-Draft changes default similarly.  While I routinely check date with my AD before submitting, I think a notification to the AD would be sufficient to trigger a WTF??? inquiry to WG chairs who do something unexpected.  Regarding Internet-Drafts, at a minimum, I should not need to ask an AD's permission to associate a newly-submitted -00 WG draft with a milestone.

I would not spend the resources on automating marking of milestones as complete in response to draft state changes in the draft tracker.  This sort of milestone completion update is not that much work, and ADs should be encouraged to delegate this task to the WG chairs and/or secretary as appropriate.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
david.black@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754