How to use x25CircuitName

Mark Therieau <markt@python.microcom.com> Fri, 28 February 1992 10:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1992 10:42:07 -0500
From: Mark Therieau <markt@python.microcom.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: How to use x25CircuitName

I am confused as to the intent of x25CircuitName.  I see two possibilities:

	1) The string is formatted by an algorithm private to the PLE.  Each vendor
	   has a naming system for X.25 connections that users must learn in order
	   to recognize individual connections.

	2) The string is specified by the user to describe the connection meaningfully.
	   Note this does not preclude option 1, but the user-chosen value should
	   override the PLE-chosen value.

I feel that option 2 is the better choice.  However, I see that the current
specifications pose some problems to attaining user-specified conneciton names.

The first problem is that the access is specified as read-only.  No big deal here.  If
no one else wants option 2, then read-only is fine.  As a local matter, my agent will
expand the access to read-write.

The second problem is that the x25CircuitName is indexed by channel number (within a
PLE).  This makes no sense, if the user is allowed to name the connection.  The name of
the connection should be the same, no matter what channel the connection is assigned.
Also, I feel that it is too restrictive to force the user to wait until after the
connection is established for the name to be assigned.

If option 1 is the intention, then I regret the loss of flexibility to the user.

Has anyone else considered how x25CircuitName should be used?

markt