Re: Internet X.25 MIB - Work in ISO/CCITT

"Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com> Tue, 18 February 1992 20:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1992 15:05:00 -0500
From: "Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Cc: goldthorpe@ses6a.bt.co.uk
Subject: Re: Internet X.25 MIB - Work in ISO/CCITT

>From: goldthorpe@ses6a.british-telecom.co.uk
>Subject: Internet X.25 MIB - Work in ISO/CCITT
>Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1992 10:06:02 +0000
>
> From:	NAME: Andy Goldthorpe
> 	FUNC: DAS23
> 	TEL: 0473 227164                      <GOLDTHORPE AT A1 AT SES6A>
> To:	throop@dg-rtp.dg.com@r11f@mrgate
> CC:	x.25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com@r11f@mrgate
>

> Dear Sir,
>
> It has recently come to my attention that the Internet community is working on
> an X.25 MIB.  This work os of particular interest to myself.
>
> I am closely involved with the work on OSI Layer Management, and Network
> Management in general, in both CCITT and ISO.  Having read the Charter for the
> Working Group, I note that consideration will be given to other standardisation
> efforts, in particular ISO/IEC CD 10733.  I am sure that you are aware that this
> document has progressed to DIS status, and is currently under ballot to go to
> full IS.  The equivalent Data Link Layer document is under ballot to go to DIS.
>
> I would like to raise awareness that these documents are intended to be joint
> ISO/CCITT texts.  CCITT is currently working to ensure that CCITT requirements
> are adequately addressed, particularly in the Network Layer document in the area
> of X.25 management.  I therefore assume that it is the intention of the Working
> Group to finalise the X.25 MIB only when consistency can be assured with a
> stable IS version of the Network Layer document.
>
> I would be happy to assist the Group further if required.  My E-mail address is:
>
> 		goldthorpe@ses6a.bt.co.uk
>
> Yours,
> Andy Goldthorpe
> Networking Architect
> BT (UK)

Thank you for that update on the progress of the ISO/CCITT
activities.

About a year ago I investigated the activities underway in the
ISO/CCITT standards groups to define management objects for X.25.
At that time I received a copy of ISO/IEC CD 10733 (dated
27-11-1990).  That document in fact served as the basis of the X.25
MIB.  I couldn't find a similar document for LAPB so the working
group started from scratch.

Since then I haven't followed the activities of ISO/CCITT
standards communities.  (They didn't put me on any of their mailing
lists.)

The X.25 MIB working group is proceeding independently from the
other standards organizations and may well finalize activities
before the ISO/CCITT documents finalize on a stable version.

The working group has focused on defining useful objects that are
consistent with the ISO/CCITT activities.  By consistent we mean we
want to minimize the instrumentation overhead required to implement
both management mechanisms.

I personally would be most interested in seeing a copy of the
current ISO/CCITT proposals.

Dean Throop		throop@dg-rtp.dg.com
Data General
62 Alexander Dr.