Re: X25 MIB and network identification

"Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com> Tue, 18 February 1992 20:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1992 15:03:18 -0500
From: "Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp.dg.com
Subject: Re: X25 MIB and network identification

> >Date: Fri, 14 Feb 92 01:25:34 PST
> >From: "Walter Pinkarschewsky, RE02-G/D9 830-3521" <walter@marvin.enet.dec.com>
>
> 	It seems to me that what is needed is some form of parameter
> 	in the x25InfoTable that uniquely identifies the network to
> 	which the DTE/DCE is connected.
>
> 	After that, any network dependent kludges can be left as a private
> 	matter between your software and your favourite network provider.

This topic was discussed earlier on the mailing list.

We talked about three options for doing this.

The first suggestion was to create an enumeration of the networks
such as:

x25InfoNetwork OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX	INTEGER {
		network_1(1),
		network_2(2),
		other(n)
		}
	ACCESS 	read-only
	STATUS  mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Identifies the network this PLE is connected to."
	::= { x25InfoTableEntry n }

The problem with this is the difficulity of enumerating all the
networks and the difficulity of adding new networks in the future.

This brought about suggestion number two; use an object identifier
to name the networks:

x25InfoNetwork OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX	OBJECT IDENTIFIER
	ACCESS 	read-only
	STATUS  mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Identifies the network this PLE is connected to."
	::= { x25InfoTableEntry n }

The problem here is how to translate OBJECT IDENTIFIERs into
meaningful network names and how to administer the addition of new
identifiers.  Simply saying IANA would administer it didn't really
address the administration problem.

The third ideas was to use a text string that simply named the
network.  Maybe use ifDescr.  This provides the network administrator
with the name of the PDN to which the link connects.  It doesn't
allow dynamic configuration of software function.  This suggestion
was adopted and the LAPB MIB today does say that the ifDesc field
must identify the PDN or network to which the link connects.

As for using such an object to control software behavior, it was
felt better to break the altered behavior into individiual
functions that could be seperately controlled.  This would allow
more flexability than having one single parameter to control many
subfunctions of software behavior.  In fact the LAPB MIB object,
lapbParmActionInitiate, is an example of such an object.

As we actually start defining such objects we want to avoid
creating a lot of objects that only pertain to a limited segment of
the market place.  We don't want to burden all vendors with options
that only pertain to a few networks served by a small number of
vendors.  The community at large would be better served if those
vendors created their own MIB with the options specific to their
market.

I'm currently skeptical about adding objects to the MIB to name
networks or control features specific to just one or two networks.
I would like to see good proposal that address the above issues and
know the objects have broad support.  If we can really find some
useful objects, I'll added them to the MIB but I haven't seen a
proposal that provides enough information to justify inclusion yet.

That is why I posted (or reposted) the proposal from Spider about
Extended Format.  If we get half a dozen other vendors saying the
object would be useful for half a dozen other networks, we'll add
it to the MIB.  If we just have one vendor saying this is useful for
one PDN, I don't feel all other vendors should have to support it.
As for how many vendors and how many networks, I don't have a hard
and fast rule so we'll be flexable until we need a concrete rule.

Dean Throop		throop@dg-rtp.dg.com