Re: Comments Re: C=US; A=IMX: draft-ietf-x400ops-admd-03.txt

Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com> Sat, 30 October 1993 08:06 UTC

To: Allan Cargille <Allan.Cargille@cs.wisc.edu>
Cc: cxii@es.net, ietf-osi-x400ops@cs.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: Comments Re: C=US; A=IMX: draft-ietf-x400ops-admd-03.txt
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1993 00:09:09 -0700

Hi Allan -- It is not so much that it is so apparent, but that the
ANSI procedures spell out the +constructor syntax in great detail, and
we can use it to form guaranteed unique names under A=<space> in C=US,
as specified by ANSI for the C=US A=<space> MHSMD register.

Anyone wishing to use such a name can obviously also register it in
A=IMX, but perhaps you are right in suggesting that we make note of
this possibility in the draft.

However, we should note that this is not a matter of granting or
restricting anything.  Just recognizing that this is something that
can and may happen.

Or, do you want to specify that only the "owner" of DNS=nma.com is to
be allowed to register P=IMX+nma.com in A=IMX?

We certainly do not need to, or should we want to, specify anything
about what any may or may not do in the ANSI MHSMD register, which is
the ADMD register for PRMD names under C=US A=<space>.

We are in absolutely no position to specify anything about the
behavior of the A=<space> register (AKA MHSMD).

Best...\Stef

From your message Fri, 29 Oct 1993 16:30:03 +0000:
}
}Sorry - left out the contents last time I tried to mail this!  8-(
}======================================================================
}
}Hello ops folk,
}
}I'd like to thank Stef for sending his message below and add my
}complete agreement to the sections about the relationship between
}C=US; ADMD=IMX and the international Internet community.
}
}I'm afraid I disagree slightly with Stef (sorry, Stef! ;-) about the
}IMX+ constructor syntax.  Stef wrote, "It should be entirely apparent
}that only the owner of nma.com will be allowed to register
}IMX+nma.com...".  I don't think that registration rules should be based
}on assumptions, so I think it would be worth fleshing out the document
}to clarify any necessary rules for IMX+... PRMD registrations.
}
}As I said in my separate message, I believe that *recommendations*
}about "good" PRMD names is quite a separate issue and should not be
}included in this document.
}
}Cheers,
}