RE: [XCON] Comment on floor control requirements

Xiaotao Wu <xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu> Wed, 12 November 2003 16:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:40:58 -0500
From: Xiaotao Wu <xiaotaow@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Michael Hammer <mhammer@cisco.com>
cc: Marcus Brunner <brunner@ccrle.nec.de>, "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <drage@lucent.com>, xcon@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [XCON] Comment on floor control requirements
Sender: xcon-admin@ietf.org

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Michael Hammer wrote:

> Could you take an equivalent view that the time of a request is simply one
> of several attributes used to make a selection of one requesting party to
> the conference over another?  The time of arrival of a request for the
> floor could be recorded along with the other attributes of the requestor,
> and then it is a policy matter for the chair in deciding who gets the floor
> next.
Hi, Mike,

Right, time is just one of the attributes, though it may be the most
important attributes. As I stated in my last email,
the order is not only based on 'time'. The chair can change the order,
for example, change the priority of a floor request.

The main point is, queue is just about how to implement the order. If we
define queue in the protocol, where will the queue reside? If the queue
resides in the conference server, should we define queue operations from
the moderator to the conference server? If we want to define the queue
operations, should we define a full-fledge queue operations for floor
control? To explicity define queue in the protocol will make the
protocol too complicated. Especially, it should not be in the requirement
document.

Thanks,

-xiaotao