RE: [XCON] Comments on the draft-ietf-xcon-floor-control-req-00.txt

petri.koskelainen@nokia.com Thu, 01 April 2004 13:09 UTC

From: petri.koskelainen@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [XCON] Comments on the draft-ietf-xcon-floor-control-req-00.txt
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:53:45 +0300
To: jan.holm@ericsson.com, xcon@ietf.org
Sender: xcon-admin@ietf.org

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the comments. See inline.

This may be true in applications like PoC but in conferencing context
floor control requests are expected to carry more information (e.g. the topic
of the question so moderator may decide to grant you the floor sooner in the case
of long queue).

> From PoC point of view the last part is the part that, at
> least in the early phases, would be of interest.
>

> The question is is it possible to divide the requirement
> document into 2 parts. A Conference application part and a
> floor control part.

This is already separated. Conference application (policy protocol) takes
care of mixer control, floor creation, appointing moderator etc.
Some of the (conf appl) requirements are also mentioned in this draft
but they will be moved to annex or separate section
(since they are covered in CPCP-reqs).

> This approach could make it possible to create 2 protocols

Luckily, we are already creating two protocols: CPCP and FCP.

> Below follows some more detailed question about some of the
> requirements.
> -----------
>    REQ-2: It MUST be possible to group several media sessions in a
>    conference together so that one floor applies to the group.
>
> Q: Does the above imply that the following combinations of
> floor and media can be defined:
>
>      1) All media type have a seperate floor. One can speak and one can send video.

Yes (2 separate floors).

>      2) Combine several media types for one floor and all media types granted at the same time.

Yes (common floor).

>      3) Combine several media types for one floor but only one media granted at at the same time.

No (if you are granted the common floor, they are reserved for you and it is up to you to use or not to use them)

>    REQ-3: It MUST be possible to define who is allowed to
> create, change and remove a floor in a conference. We assume that the conference
>    owner always has this privilege and may also authorize other
>    entities, via the conference policy.
>
> Q: Can this requirement be removed since it has nothing to do
> with floor control.

Yes, it will be moved to annex or separate section.

> ---------------------------
> REQ-17: Bandwidth and terminal limitations SHOULD be taken into
>    account in order to ensure that floor control can be
> efficiently used in mobile environments.
>
>    It should be noted that efficient communication by means of minimal
>    sized messages may contradict the desire to express reasons for
>    requesting a floor (as per REQ-6) along with other information.
>    Therefore, a floor control protocol SHOULD be designed in
> a way that it allow for expressive as well as minimal messaging, as
> (negotiable)configuration option and/or selectable on a per-message basis.
>
> Comment: Can a seperate less byte consuming protocol be
> developed for the floor control in order to support the above
> requirment.

It may be difficult (since there may be many parameters and a lot of
additional info in floor requests and responses).

> REQ-20: There MAY be operations to manipulate the request set
>    available for floor chair(s).
>
> Q: What does this requirement mean?

This is floor request queue manipulation in the server ("set" if used instead of queue).

--
Petri