[xml2rfc] Using [DOCNAME] citations instead of [RFCxxx]

aaron at serendipity.cx (Aaron Stone) Wed, 05 December 2007 11:28 UTC

From: "aaron at serendipity.cx"
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:28:59 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] Using [DOCNAME] citations instead of [RFCxxx]

Hi,

In the Sieve mail filter series of documents, we use the [DOCNAME]
citation style rather extensively, and avoid [RFCxxx] references wherever
possible. This dramatically increases readability. For example (from
draft-ietf-sieve-notify-xmpp-07.txt):

1.1. Overview

   The [NOTIFY] extension to the [SIEVE] mail filtering language is a
   framework for providing notifications by employing URIs to specify
   the notification mechanism.  This document defines how xmpp URIs (see
   [XMPP-URI]) are used to generate notifications via the Extensible
   Messaging and Presence Protocol [XMPP], which is widely implemented
   in Jabber instant messaging technologies.

I cannot figure out how to do this in xml2rfc :-(

If there's no mechanism in place, I propose creating one...

I'm thinking either...

 o the document reference database include a friendly name in its xml
   definition.
 o add a 'nickname' mechanism in the <!ENTITY ...> that includes the
   reference from the common database.

I'm very much against pulling all of the references into the document just
to add a cute name to it. That defeats the purpose of the common database
of references.

Aaron