[xml2rfc] Using [DOCNAME] citations instead of [RFCxxx]

tony at att.com (Tony Hansen) Wed, 05 December 2007 11:48 UTC

From: "tony at att.com"
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:48:25 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] Using [DOCNAME] citations instead of [RFCxxx]

<xref target="RFCXXXX">NOTIFY</xref>

From: dave at cridland.net (Dave Cridland)
Date: Wed Dec  5 11:53:29 2007

On Wed Dec  5 19:29:59 2007, Aaron Stone wrote:
> In the Sieve mail filter series of documents, we use the [DOCNAME]
> citation style rather extensively, and avoid [RFCxxx] references
> wherever
> possible. This dramatically increases readability. For example (from
> draft-ietf-sieve-notify-xmpp-07.txt):

We do in Lemonade, too.

Take a look at my hacky XSLT preprocessing tools, held in
http://svn.dave.cridland.net/svn/ietf-drafts/

1) Makefile - simple makefile driver, works with xsltproc.
2) rfc2629-refchk.xsl - generates an XML based report of missing, or
bad references. In particular, this will check to see if a reference
is marked normative in usage, and if so, whether it's listed in the
right section.
3) rfc2629-noinc.xsl - expands all references and <?rfc include ?>
directives.

An example might be draft-cridland-sasl-tls-sessions.xml, which is
pretty small.

a) <xref/> elements can be marked with dwdrfc-type='norm' to make the
refchk XSL think they're normative.
b) So can the <references/> element, to mark the normative section.
c) <references/> can conntain <dwdrfc-ref/> elements, which have a
src attribute pointing to the fragments, and an anchor attribute to
specify what goes in the square brackets.

(It's not using namespaces because that appeared to confuse xml2rfc,
so I did it the hackier way).

I find these useful, YMMV.

Dave.
--