[xml2rfc] shorter refs to i-ds

mrose+internet.xml2rfc@dbc.mtview.ca.us (Marshall Rose) Sun, 10 November 2002 21:26 UTC

From: mrose+internet.xml2rfc@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:26:59 -0800
Subject: [xml2rfc] shorter refs to i-ds

> in
>
>    [I-D.ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3]  Gupta, M. and S. Deering, "IP Version
>                                    6 Addressing Architecture", draft-
>                                    ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11 (work in
>                                    progress), October 2002.
>
>    [RFC2434]                       Narten, T. and H. Alvestrand,
>                                    "Guidelines for Writing an IANA
>                                    Considerations Section in RFCs", BCP
>                                    26, RFC 2434, October 1998.
>
> the first reference shoves everything else to the right.  is there
> a way to get more abbreviated references to i-ds only?  i do not
> like the result of <?rfc symrefs="no" ?>
>
> like how about at least getting rid of the "I-D."?

well, this is tricky, because the goal here is to provide a global
bibliographic database, which means that we don't want the anchor to be
conflict with something else.

i suppose there are possibilities:

    - leave the anchor alone have the amount of indentation be specific
      to each reference.

    - provide a way of mapping the anchor strings within the main
      document, e.g.,

        <?rfc anchormap='%I-D\.ietf-(*)%\1%'?>

      which would give you

	[ipngwg-addr-arch-v3]	Gupta, M. ...