Re: [xrblock] Calculation of delay metrics defined in the Delay Block

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Fri, 28 October 2011 11:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:44:54 -0400
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, zhaojing@sttri.com.cn, xrblock <xrblock@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Calculation of delay metrics defined in the Delay Block

Qin

Strictly speaking, End System Delay is not part of Network Round Trip Delay
but is part of the overall round trip delay experienced by the user.

Network Round Trip Delay in this case should be the round trip delay
measured using RTP, which includes the network transmission delay in each
direction plus some processing time within the IP/UDP/RTP stack.

End System Delay is an estimate of the additional round trip delay that the
user would experience due to encoding/decoding/ buffering/ accumulation and
³may² also include other delay components that are external to the RTP
segment, if known.

The total round trip delay experienced by the user is the Network Round Trip
Delay plus the End System Delay from each end.

Also - it may be better not to describe the End System Delay in terms of
³Sending side² and ³Receiving side² as this may be understood to mean the
sending and receiving sides of the connection not the endpoint.

Best Regards

Alan