Re: [xrblock] comment on draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe-02.txt

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Thu, 27 September 2012 13:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:04:39 -0400
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, "Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, xrblock@ietf.org, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] comment on draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe-02.txt

> Hi,Alan:
> Sorry for late reply and finally get back to this topic.

The best approach would be to have the concept of MOS Reference - initially
defining this only for Speech as it is not yet defined for Audio or Video.
The MOS Reference for Speech would be Narrowband (3.4kHz) or Wideband
(7kHz), where the frequency refers to the audio bandwidth and not the sample
rate (e.g. an 8kHz sample rate is used on traditional telecom networks and
audio bandwidth is filtered to 3.4kz).

MOS Scaling is a term that Telchemy uses explicitly however the concept is
implicitly used within the industry when quoting MOS scores for codecs and
measurements. The only standardized reference that I'm aware of is the
Japanese TTC scaling.

>> The same general idea applies to video - video on a mobile handset would
>> typically be evaluated against other mobile handsets - so reference/scaling
>> may apply to image resolution, screen size or both. Telchemy's technology
>> uses the terms Absolute and Relative MOS-V, we have described this in
>> contributions to ITU-T SG12 however nothing has been incorporated into a
>> standard as yet.
>
> [Qin]: It seems you mixed reference and scaling for video. I think for video,
> the reference should apply to image resolution/screen size, e.g., High
> definition, Standard Defintion.
> But I am not sure how scaling apply to image resolution as well. What am I
> missing?

In many cases (e.g. middle of the network) the screen size is not known
although the image resolution is. Taking screen size into account is valid
as a factor in determining a subject score however has the unfortunate
side-effect of making the same video stream with the same encoding/
bandwidth/ impairments/ resolution/ content ... have different MOS scores
depending on the playout device size. This is "correct" however can be
confusing for network operations engineers.

Alan