Re: [xrblock] Multiple channels in RTP streams

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 23 November 2011 09:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:13:05 +0800
From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>, xrblock@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [xrblock] Multiple channels in RTP streams

Multiple channels in RTP streamsYes,
Suppose using MPEG Transport Stream to carry multi-channel  audios and MPEG TS is carried over RTP, how do we rely on Packet ID (PID)
in the MPEG TS layer to identify left channel audio and right channel audio and center channel audio?

I am aware that MPEG TS can use stream_type to differentiate video stream from audio stream . However it is not clear
to me how one audio stream can be further differentiated into left channel audio stream and right channel audio
stream? I believe only stereo decoder knows how to distinguish them based on specific codec and order of each channels.
Also SDP signaling will be used to indcate to stereo decoder how many channel are really used.

If multi channel audios can be carried in separate RTP stream, such issue mentioned above can be avoided. Since each channel audio
will use different SSRC.

So the question is do we need to cover the case where multiple channel audios are carried in the same RTP stream?

Regards!
-Qin