Re: [yang-doctors] Review of draft-wu-l3sm-rfc8049bis?

Jan Lindblad <janl@tail-f.com> Fri, 06 October 2017 06:56 UTC

From: Jan Lindblad <janl@tail-f.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 08:55:37 +0200
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, YANG Doctors <yang-doctors@ietf.org>, draft-wu-l3sm-rfc8049bis.all@ietf.org
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Subject: Re: [yang-doctors] Review of draft-wu-l3sm-rfc8049bis?

Jürgen,

> I do not understand the details why RFC 8049 is fundamentally
> broken.

The 8049 YANG model had broken XPATH expressions, so a compliant implementation was impossible. The qos rules architecture was at odds with other IETF models, e.g. the ACL model. I would actually call this out as a bigger problem than the former. Then, there were some minor description enhancements, added defaults and adjustments of types.

> The abstract of the ID says:
>
>   If approved, this document obsoletes RFC 8049.  The changes are a
>   series of small fixes to the YANG module, and some clarifications to
>   the text.
>
> This does not read like fundamentally flawed and not implementable.

8049 does not compile if you have a compiler that understands XPATH.

> That said, I did react to Jan's statement that kind of indicated that
> these changes are generally OK - which I think they are not.
>
> If this document chooses to not follow the YANG update rules, I think
> this should be supported by a clear documentation why this is
> considered to be OK, somewhere in the document.

I never pretended the new module would be backwards compatible with 8049. The specific element I mentioned as being individually backwards compatible, is not according to section 11 in 7950. Thanks for clarifying that.

Maybe what we should do to respect section 11 rules, and give a clear message to implementors, is to give the module a new namespace and name.

/jan