Re: [68ATTENDEES] standards track wireless network

"Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Espoo)" <Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com> Tue, 27 March 2007 10:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:49:22 +0300
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] standards track wireless network
From: "Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Espoo)" <Jonne.Soininen@nokia.com>
To: ext Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: 68attendees@ietf.org

Hi,

There used to be a document (which has not been updated) on the requirement
of the "terminal room" for the IETF. The draft was mostly about the network
anyways.

The updating of the document stopped, because the requirements where
increasing faster than the people could type and the information in the
document would have been out-dated before it reached RFC. Perhaps the
requirements have become more stable and writing the document might be
possible.

In addition, there is another difficulty to write the document: Some of the
requirements are not easily documentable in portable format. For instance,
the WLAN network requirements should say that you should forget everything
you have learned about setting up WLAN networks and ask the people who has
done this before what actually works and what doesn't in this kind of
environment. Though, it is useful in IETF context, it might not be that
useful outside of it.

I think the main reason for not documenting the networking experiences is
actually time. People are pretty burned out after the meeting. Even they
have said before the meeting that they will document everything, after the
meeting the this promise is often forgotten (been there, done that).

These are no excuses not to do the documentation. Somebody just has to write
it... ;)

Cheers,

Jonne.

On 3/26/07 4:39 PM, "ext Michael Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>