Re: [6lowpan] New version of IPv6 over BT-LE draft

<johanna.1.nieminen@nokia.com> Mon, 30 January 2012 08:58 UTC

From: johanna.1.nieminen@nokia.com
To: cabo@tzi.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 08:57:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.21.34.226]
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] New version of IPv6 over BT-LE draft

Hi,

We will prepare a new version by next week. See my initial comments below:

Johanna

We could say the the device MUST derive the IID of the other endpoint but not mandate which of the two methods will be used. The IID should be correct using either method (ND message exchange or Link Layer connection establishment messages).

>2)
>            When a BT-LE slave transmits an IPv6 packet to a remote destination
>            using global IPv6 addresses, the slave MUST elide the IPv6 source
>            address.
>
>-To be able to compress a global prefix, it must have acquired a -context.  How
>do you make sure that is the case, to enable fulfilling -that MUST?

We can add: If a context is defined for the prefix of the IPv6 source address,
the slave MUST elide the IPv6 source address.

>3)
>            The 6LBR/master can infer the elided IPv6 source address
>            since 1) the master/6LBR has previously assigned the prefix to the
>            slaves;
>
>-In IPv6, there may be more than one prefix.
>-That's why RFC 6282 has a context identifier.

Again, context must be explicitly stated here.

>4)
>
>            If a context is defined for the prefix of the IPv6 source address,
>            the master/6LBR MUST elide that prefix as well.
>
>-In summary, we use RFC 6282, but extend it to make, in some of the -cases,
>compression mandatory?

Yes. BT-LE operates in a STAR topology, making compression possible in several cases. We have chosen to mandate compression whenever it is possible.