Re: [6lowpan] Slight problem with format document

"Daniel Park" <soohongp@gmail.com> Thu, 18 January 2007 08:05 UTC

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:05:22 +0900
From: Daniel Park <soohongp@gmail.com>
To: Mario Mao <mariomao@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Slight problem with format document
Cc: 6lowpan <6lowpan@lists.ietf.org>

It seems a bit implementation issue. Our format document defines four classes:

[1] Prefix In-line IID In-line
[2] Prefix In-line IID compressed
[3] Prefix compressed IID In-line
[4] Prefix compressed IID compressed

Most assumtion in our scenario as of today is [4]. It means IPv6
source and destination belong to link-local scope. In your assumtion,
perhaps, [1] and [2] are appropriate. In that sense, 6lowpan
adoptation layer seems not meaningful. Also, 6lowpan header
compression is only applied for 802.15.4 link due to the tiny
bandwidth.

Daniel

On 1/18/07, Mario Mao <mariomao@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with gabriel, there is no interference between header compression
> and ICMP. However, I believe two points should be noted which may cause
> information loss.
>
> 1. If the processing node is lowpan gateway/router and the sent packet comes
> from Internet but not originates by the gateway/router itself, the IID of IP
> source address shouldn't be compressed.
> 2. If the IP destination isn't an "on-link" node (that means the destination
> is more than one hop away from source node), the IID of IP destination
> address shouldn't be compressed.
>
> In a word, 6lowpan node could only compress the IID that derives from IEEE
> 802.15.4 MAC address. I think that point should be emphasized in draft,
> isn't it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mario

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.