Re: [77attendees] Ad hoc meetings in real meeting rooms

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Mon, 29 March 2010 22:47 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:48:14 -0700
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Cc: 77attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [77attendees] Ad hoc meetings in real meeting rooms

Speaking for myself...

I don't have a problem with them using a room - or a projector - that happens to be idle, nor do I object to having BOFs. I do suggest that they check with the Secretariat, which I have always found to be supportive and helpful in such things. What I found problematic was
(a) the expectation of some (evidenced in this thread) that ADs-or-whatever would show up if they had a BOF
(b) the sheer number of them this time, which made people choose between meals/sleep and attending BOFs

I'm not actually sure you were the first to do such things. I for one have checked with the Secretariat and used rooms for BOfs since the early 1990's. As a working group chair, I have also taken key participants or design teams to a restaurant and bought them lunch or dinner to facilitate a discussion. I thought this was simply How It Is Done.