Re: [77attendees] Bar BOF: Impact of NAT444 on content providers

Matthew Ford <ford@isoc.org> Tue, 16 March 2010 09:24 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:24:09 +0100
From: Matthew Ford <ford@isoc.org>
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Cc: 77attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [77attendees] Bar BOF: Impact of NAT444 on content providers

On 15/03/2010 23:02, Dan Wing wrote:
> A different layout of draft-ford-shared-addressing-issues might
> go a long way towards addressing the desire for a citable
> document on the negative affect of IPv4 address sharing to a
> content provider.  Failing that, perhaps a separate draft; however
> it seems difficult to describe any of these as solely or even
> primarily impacting the content provider -- it is the collateral
> damage caused by the negative reputation of the IPv4 identifier
> that is the foundation of much of the woe (for the penalty boxes).

The latest rev of draft-ford-shared-addressing-issues includes an
initial, basic assessment of whether issues identified pertain to either
the party implementing the shared addressing solution, or to third
parties, or both. That analysis could certainly be improved.

At present I plan to briefly present the updates to the draft in the
intarea meeting in Anaheim, and to ask for interest in adoption as a WG
work item. If there's energy and interest in working on improving the
structure and content of this draft, that'd be a good place to bring it.

   - Mat