Re: [Ace] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token-12

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Mon, 26 February 2018 20:12 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Dan Romascanu' <dromasca@gmail.com>, gen-art@ietf.org
CC: ace@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token.all@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:12:23 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ace] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token-12

This is probably a YMMV answer.   Personally, I expect that there is going to be divergence between the two registries but I currently do not have any examples to support this answer.  The main reason for my supposition that I am guessing that CWT may be used in a wider set of situations, but again I cannot support this.

> 2. I am a little confused by the definition of policies in Section 9.1:
>
>    Depending upon the values being requested, registration requests are
>    evaluated on a Standards Track Required, Specification Required,
>    Expert Review, or Private Use basis [RFC8126] after a three-week
>    review period on the cwt-reg-review@ietf.org mailing list, on the
>    advice of one or more Designated Experts.
>
> How does this work? The request is forwarded to the designated expert,
> he/she make a recommendation concerning the policy on the mail list, and
> depending on the feedback received a policy is selected? Who establishes
> consensus?
>
> Frankly, I wonder if this can work at all. Are there other examples of four
> different policies for the same registry, applied on a case-to-case basis?

This is the same approach that is being used for the COSE registries.  As an example, you can look at https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#algorithms.

Part of the issue about this is that the JOSE/JWT registries do have the same different policies, but that differences are hidden from the IANA registry.  Since they allow for a URI to be used as the identifier of a field, only the plain text versions are registered.  Thus I can use "http://augustcellars.com/JWT/My_Tag" as an identifier.  Since for CBOR the set of tag values is closed and does not have this escape (nor would one want the length of the tag) it is necessary to have this break down of tag fields.

Jim