Re: [Add] Comparative DoH Discovery DNS RR Types

dagon <dagon@sudo.sh> Tue, 30 June 2020 06:02 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 06:02:23 +0000
From: dagon <dagon@sudo.sh>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
Subject: Re: [Add] Comparative DoH Discovery DNS RR Types

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 07:57:49PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> I'm with Paul. I prefer creating new RR types.
> There aren't that many dumbass middleboxes around, and those that are there,
> are usually put there intentionally, and they deserve what they get.

+1

Middleware ignoring RFC 3597 has a privacy benefit: it won't leak the
local DNS discovery details.  A marginal DNS appliance, unable to
process RESINFO and other inherently local, policy-based novel types,
won't pass such traffic to 3d parties.

E.g., ancient Cisco PIX will drop IN RESINFO?, failing the user back
to udp/53.  But such middleware could pass TXT-based discovery,
sharing the local DoH policies.  It also announces to the outside "oh
look, someone just started a browser".

Further, firewall operators must parse and ponder the global vs. local
significance of such TXT records.  Their solutions won't be
consistent, creating a new generation of quirked gear.  Could the
draft (perhaps off the ADD list) provide advice for transit, firewalls
and middleware witnessing such local discovery?  Silently drop? ICMP?
SERVFAIL?

This is in contrast to DNSSEC, often dropped by broken middleware.
DNSSEC conversations generally have global and e2e utility, since each
hop and even appliances can validate.  DoH discovery is local, and
best dropped by non-speakers.

--
David Dagon
dagon@sudo.sh