Re: [Add] Comparative DoH Discovery DNS RR Types

Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org> Mon, 29 June 2020 21:01 UTC

From: Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 21:01:49 +0000
Subject: Re: [Add] Comparative DoH Discovery DNS RR Types

On Monday, 29 June 2020 15:36:42 UTC Livingood, Jason wrote:
> Just noting far we have a variety of suggestions on CNAME, URI, TXT, RESINFO
> and HTTPSSVC (though I don’t think all have I-Ds as yet) - always nice to
> see the ideas flowing. :-) As a practical person that in IETF land is
> considered an implementer, I naturally feel inclined towards RR types that
> already exist as this enables something to be rapidly deployed.

the community apparently lacks coherence on the importance of rapid deployment
as compared to the importance of technical excellence. if we're not going to
add any more new RR types because they take ten years to become usable (see
the SPF RR vs. the later _spf TXT RR), we should say that, and close the RR
type registry, so as to avoid confusing newcomers.

if on the other hand we're going to continue to evolve DNS in ways that
include adding new RR types, and all the initiators who are stuck behind
dumbass middleboxes who reject or butcher unknown RR types are going to fail
hard and be excluded from the new applications and protocols in order to put
more pressure on middlebox users/makers/distributors, we should say that.

either way, nothing is temporary. whatever we use for resolver discovery will
be present as a data pattern and code path in all future software. improved
signal patterns and associated logic will live alongside the unimproved ones,
raising the bar for both short-term expedients and later improvement to be
"worthy of its coexistence cost". for clarity, that's a _very_ high bar.

> As all of these become documented a discussed a bit further - or even tested
> experimentally - my humble suggestion is that it may be helpful for the WG
> to develop a grid of all the options with their associated pros & cons.

such grid would be well informed by the attached graphic.

--
Paul