Re: [alto] Pitfalls for ISP-friendly P2P Design

"Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu> Mon, 26 October 2009 02:13 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:13:22 -0400
From: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
To: Salman Abdul Baset <sa2086@columbia.edu>
Cc: alto@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [alto] Pitfalls for ISP-friendly P2P Design

Dear Salman,

Thank you for forwarding a link to the paper to this mailing list. I
attended Hotnets last week and thus heard the presentation of this
paper. It sure is highly related. Does it make sense to also forward it
to pprg?

This paper is valuable, but I do not feel that the paper provides much
that we do not already know:

- Locality opportunities: for small swarms (the long tail) spanned
across many networks, you may not have local opportunities. This should
be true. Even here, I feel that we need to interpret the results
carefully. For example, it uses iplane to map from IP to AS number. But
some large ISP networks span multiple ASes and iplane is not aware of
this. This appears to be not captured in the study. It is important to
understand that locality opportunities depend on particular networks.

- Tradeoff between performance and locality: the paper argued that if
you care for performance only, then some peers may suffer in
performance. This is not a new result. For example, the foundation of
the bandwidth matching algorithm (see the P4P paper) is to compute
performance regions before optimizing for locality.

- Potential ISP conflict: this is also a well-known problem. The idea of
adopting "my-Internet" view in ALTO is to allow ISPs to express
differing views. Application algorithms such as bandwidth matching will
provide check on extreme ISP views.

One way I read the paper is that it does not conflict with the ALTO
effort. Instead, it reinforces the point of view that it should be done
right.

Just some of my comments.

Richard