[alto] Pitfalls for ISP-friendly P2P Design

Salman Abdul Baset <sa2086@columbia.edu> Sat, 24 October 2009 00:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:23:18 -0400
From: Salman Abdul Baset <sa2086@columbia.edu>
Sender: sa2086@columbia.edu
To: alto@ietf.org
Subject: [alto] Pitfalls for ISP-friendly P2P Design

A paper in this year's HotNets.
http://conferences.sigcomm.org/hotnets/2009/papers/hotnets2009-final115.pdf

The paper argues that in practice the benefits of such design may be
limited due to:
(1) conflicting interests of ISP.
   -What is good for one ISP is not always good for the other ISP.
(2) locality aware traffic may not work for long-tail content.

I am curious what folks on this list have to say about this paper.

Thanks
Salman