Re: [alto] Pitfalls for ISP-friendly P2P Design

Ping Pan <ping@pingpan.org> Sun, 25 October 2009 22:30 UTC

From: Ping Pan <ping@pingpan.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:30:46 -0700
To: Salman Abdul Baset <sa2086@columbia.edu>
Cc: alto@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [alto] Pitfalls for ISP-friendly P2P Design

Interesting. I agree that P2P traffic management differs among ISP's. Some
broadband operators may care much about the link cost, while the transit
providers have no such issue as long as the traffic is somewhat symmetrical.
But, I don't think P4P/ALTO is limited to solve the inter-domain traffic
issues only.

I find the following interesting: "...One might expect the median ratio of
average download rate to be 1; i.e., for each peer in a swarm, some nearby
peers will be slower, but others will faster. Instead, the median ratio is
0.15. This is because most BitTorrent peers from popular swarms in our
trace come from the United States, while most capacity comes from
comparatively high bandwidth peers in Europe...."

What does this mean? Does it imply that the content is in some remote
locations? No wonder the locality schemes won't work.

I wonder if the similar study can be done in other locations, such as China
and Europe...

Thanks!

- Ping