Re: [alto] [altoext] draft-marocco-alto-next-00

Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it> Mon, 27 February 2012 09:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:05:26 +0100
From: Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it>
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Cc: "altoext@ietf.org" <altoext@ietf.org>, "alto@ietf.org" <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] [altoext] draft-marocco-alto-next-00

Thanks Dave,

this is indeed the kind of feedback the draft was intended to trigger.

Proposals that have been presented in the past few years for extending
the ALTO protocol on different axis, to make it suitable for carrying
different types of information and for doing that on a more dynamic
timescale, seem to indicate that there is some sort of gap in the
provisioning of network information to applications that tools currently
available have failed to fill. If that is the case, the discussion we
want to have needs to deepen in the whys and hows those tools do not
satisfy requirements of such applications -- I'm certainly not the most
expert in the area and will leave the question to the proponents of the
extensions, but I guess the answer may be related to the intrinsic
complexity of dealing with low-level information at an application level
-- and why a more abstract presentation of such information (through
ALTO or via other means) may have better chance.

You make a good point that for CDN and datacenter applications running
in controlled environment SNMP monitoring and BGP sniffing can provide
all the information such applications may possibly need. If the
incentive they provide is enough to motivate their implementation is a
key topic of discussion we want to have to identify the way forward for
ALTO.

Enrico